It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:44 pm
Change font size
Harlan County Ridge Runners ATV Club

Riding Areas & Clubs

Wind Rock/ new truck policy

A place for all clubs/areas links that we share our sport with.

Wind Rock/ new truck policy

Postby Bellman » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:24 pm

Looks like the board over wind rock has changed the policy that will allow all trucks/jeeps/buggies to ride on any and all trails on the property...not siting to well with many local and long distance 4 wheel folks..as one posted he had to wait on jeeps for over 1 hour just to get on trail 12...usually takes 45 min to ride this. Many are moving on over to brimstone, which allow limited use of trucks/jeeps on their own trails...and many going on to royal blue.
IMO the board has lost it at wind rock...already ran off a very good club...now pushing more riders away..when in these days...everyone needs riders coming and coming back.
Bellman

Re: Wind Rock/ new truck policy

Postby TnDan » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:38 pm

Hey Bell, I think you probably missed this on the WR board... and Brent is THE BOSS at Coal Creek now.
coal_creek_ohv wrote:I think Rooster has done a good of stating Coal Creek's position, but just in case there is still any confusion, I will try to clear things up.

1. Coal Creek's trails DO have a designation for what vehicles are allowed on each trail. Some are open to all vehicles and some are limited to ATV only. There are no specific single-track trails listed but may in the future. We do not have "someone with a gun" out making sure that certain vehicles stay off of certain trails, but we will do what we can. I am going to have more signs that say "ATV Only" made to put in in some places to help with this. Still, signs only keep honest people honest.

2. Some trails (such as 33) that used to be ATV only are not open to all. It is a connector type trail and didnt' make sense for full-sized vehicles to not be allowed on it.

3. As for the rumor that the trail crew has been told to widen all trails.....well, that is completely untrue. What WAS said was that most of the new trails that are constructed in the future will be multi-use. This is when we were talking about a new potential trail over near Duncan Flats. There will be new trails that are constructed that will be ATV only or single track only. Most of this will be based on vehicle width. Some areas are too narrow for certain types of vehicles.

One final note. I understand that each user group wants their own specific trails. I have owed, ATVs, dirt bikes, and 4x4s. We have 72,000 acres and there will always be enough trails for all user groups. I was on one of our newer trails last week on an ATV. It was obvious that there had been much more traffic from SxS than ATVs because the ruts were the "wrong" width for the ATV. Before too long, I'm sure someone is going to want to separate those to groups as well. Not happening. The trail crew has been out working very hard to locate new trails. This year, I want to add lots of new trails for all of our customers.

Brent
Dan

"If'n you ain't been throwed, you ain't been ridin."
TnDan

Postby Bellman » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:02 pm

Thanks for the heads up Dan....looks like they are not doing it as of now...but plan on multi use trails down the road.
Bellman

Postby TnDan » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:21 pm

There were a couple of wild rumors that made the rounds, but that is all it was... "wild" rumors.

Rooster was recently hired as their trails maintenance supervisor. He is an avid ATVer and has already added a couple of new trails and working on more. Based on the info I have, I don't expect to see any shift in trail use in the foreseeable future.

Hopefully, they will open up more truck/rockcrawler trails; and that should certainly help keep those vehicles off the ATV trails.

I don't think Brent will be doing anything that might jeopardize loss of income from the off roaders...
Dan

"If'n you ain't been throwed, you ain't been ridin."
TnDan

Postby Bellman » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:21 am

Good deal...rumors can make or break anything these days for sure...I DO NOT...have anything against trucks/jeeps...I just feel they need their own trails, we need our trails, horse, mtn bike, hikers all the same...for one reason only..safety. Just about all trails in Harlan Co. are multi use..and at times it does create some problems. Bottom line I bet our rental, biz peeps...do not care what you unload..just so you do it at their place of biz...thanks Dan for clearing this up.
Bellman

Postby mudflap » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:05 pm

i think i would like to chime in on this one.seems these days someone's got to commplain about somethin'.we have been riding at windrock for years and have never had a problem SHARING the trails with our fellow off-road friends.seems to me whoever is complaining most likely likes to ride full speed and in a hurry to get nowhere. i ride an atv and i don't ride fast.if i come upon rail buggies or whatever just shut the engine off and sit a spell,take smoke and CHILL.if you really want to complain about something, about NO COMMON COURTSEY, AND MAYBE THE WAY YOU ARE DRIVING COULD JUST BE UNSAFE FOR YOU AND OTHERS AROUND YOU.show some patience and common courtsey to others and we can all enjoy a place to ride or there just might no be a place anymore.as far as coal creek, keep up the good work you're doing and we will see you in april. :beat:
mudflap

Postby HCORBA » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:15 pm

Bellman wrote: Just about all trails in Harlan Co. are multi use..and at times it does create some problems.

The only problem in Harlan we seem to have is that there aren't enough truck events during the year, since we get asked by people all the time when's a good time to see some trucks playing around. It's been our experience that ATVers generally like the opportunity to watch some rockcrawling. At the same time we have a lot of trails off-limits to full-size vehicles and we do need more. But complaints about trucks is just something we don't get here.
HCORBA

Postby Bellman » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:09 pm

Mud....would it not be nice if ALL would just sit back and take smoke and wait on others to clear a trail and let them by...alas is not the case..and will never be the case when something that big shares trails with something smaller. I have as many friends that drive trucks/jeeps as I do on ATV's...I am saying for safety reason's they should be on different trails...no matter who is going fast on what toy...a smaller toy is not going to win...when the big boo boo comes. We do have many complain about sharing here in Harlan....I refer them to the board, county, and our local paper...and let it go at that.
Bellman

Return to Riding Areas & Clubs