It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:54 pm
Change font size
Harlan County Ridge Runners ATV Club

Ride Reports

Windrock to Hatfield-McCoy

Post your ride reports, flix and pix after you have rode with us.

Windrock to Hatfield-McCoy

Postby jmrubicon » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:29 am

Join Date: Aug 2008Location: Harrodsburg, KYPosts: 42 Windrock to Hatfield-McCoyFor about 5 years or so I have been wanting to try to do a ride from Windrock to Hatfield-McCoy. I had rode a lot of sections between the two areas and wanted to put it all together in one long riding and camping trip. I asked quite a few people if they would be interested in trying to do the ride but due to work and other factors, in the end my buddy Willy was the only other person crazy enough to try it*

We met in Pikeville Ky on Thursday afternoon and loaded all our gear in Willy's truck and drove to Windrock. Friday morning we loaded up and set out for H-M. The first day was pretty uneventful. We crossed Windrock and Royal Blue and made it into Tackett creek to a great little campsite. We did about 95 miles the first day.*

Day two started a lot earlier. We were up before daylight and rolling by 8am. This proved to be a good thing because we had to put 135 miles, passing through Wilderness Trail park to get to Black Mtn park. We pulled into Evarts around 7:00pm. When we got there we had planned to just pitch a tent but instead Rob who is one of the ridge runners, and if you have been there in the last 3 yrs and did a guided ride there he was more than likely your guide, offered to let us stay in his trailer. That was really great of him. One other really cool thing that happened on this day was that I got to see a bobcat. This was the first one I had ever seen in the woods and it was really cool.*

Day three started with a good breakfast in Evarts and then just got better. This was easily the best day of the trip. The riding was great, we were on everything from wide gravel roads to literally deer paths. And we also got to see the most wildlife on this day. We saw a bunch of deer and turkey and the highlight of the trip 5 bears. One by itslef that we got to watch for a minute as it ran away, then about an hour later a mother and 3 cubs. It was awesome to see them but I was really glad they were all running away from us. Lol. We ended up in Jenkins Ky at the end of this close to 120 mile day.*

The next day we sat out early again. I wasn't sure if we would be able to reach H-M on this day or if we would have to camp again but I wanted to at least get close. We had a little trouble finding our way because of a few trails that had become impassible, but at around 4:30 we pulled across the river into Matewan WV. After taking a few pics we rode on to the finish line which was the Buffalo Mtn trailhead where my sister met us with my truck. This day was around 100 miles.*

The total for the trip ended up being 465 miles. We couldn't have asked for better weather. It was beautiful all four days and the fall colors were at their peak. This was really an unbelievable trip and I am glad I got to do it.
jmrubicon

Re: Windrock to Hatfield-McCoy

Postby WaHoo » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:26 am

Glad you made it Jason and you didn't have any trouble along the way. If I were 30 yrs. younger I might would have tried it with you. Good report and hope to see you next month. :clap:
Bill Troutman,

If you wait until you can do everything for everybody, instead of something for somebody, you'll end up doing nothing for nobody.

WaHoo
ADMINISTRATOR

Postby jmrubicon » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:51 pm

Thanks Wahoo, I am definitely going to be down more often. Getting back down there and sitting around the fire pit made me remember how much I enjoy it.
jmrubicon

Postby WaHoo » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:53 pm

Good to hear and as always welcome. Just have to come up with some new stories around the pit. Also need to get that little tater tot out of Bowling Green back up this way. :lol:
Bill Troutman,

If you wait until you can do everything for everybody, instead of something for somebody, you'll end up doing nothing for nobody.

WaHoo
ADMINISTRATOR

Postby Ky Kodiak » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:26 pm

What an Awesome report on what had to be one heck of an Adventure :clap:
Jason & Wally's Grand Adventure!
2014 Kawasaki Teryx 4 800 EPS Sunrise Yellow (The Short Bus)
2009 CAMO GRIZZLY 550 EPS

FaceBook
https://www.facebook.com/dale.lee.756?ref=profile

https://www.facebook.com/dale.lee.756?r ... Adventures

YouTube Video's

http://www.youtube.com/user/kykodiak100

Harlan County Ridge Runners Atv Club
Holler Crawlers Atv Club
Windrock Atv Club
Cumberland ATV Riders
Ky Kodiak

Postby hatfield » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:48 am

In 2001 we rode to coalcreek from stone mtn..round trip in 2003...a group from richland va..was rideing from there to stone mtn..once they found a way around breaks park...so we went to coalcreek unloaded...an rode to r blue tac. creek to bell county crossed at bell high...to mtn drive..to Harlan then to va back to ky...Ann on to richlands....then topped it off with a cross into west va to Bramwell. ...papa smurf...from coalcreek got alot of people into these long rides...took alot of scouting....now u can ride from hatfield to spearhead. .only issues is..out of state permit in west va is 50..in state in va is 50...my 50 goes to west va...
hatfield

Postby wwm66 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:03 pm

That was a nice adventure definitely interested in trying different segments of that trip. Would love to see the route you took do you have a GPS track of the trip? We've ridden from Evarts over to Hensley Settlement and back which is a good day trip!

Heading up end of March, plan on splitting the trip between Black Mountain and Royal Blue. Was planning to do a RB over to Tackett Creek but have never done it so some tracks would be great.
Triad Trailblazers ATV and SxS Club of North Carolina
wwm66

Return to Ride Reports